Sunday, September 17, 2006

Tour de Leelanau weekend

Brewchamp and I headed up to do the big TDL race this weekend. Weather was fantastic, just like last year. The race played out kinda similar as well with an early break off most of the day taking all the Sprints and KOM points.

Last 15 miles of the 110 mile race I tried to go with every little break that formed. But, dang, that one moment, when I was a bit boxed in, I saw a couple key guys make a break. Then of course their teammates went up to the front and started soft-peddling as we descended a hill. That was it. I'd missed it. :-(

At the end I rolled in with a group of about 20 guys (positions 11 thru 30 or so). After my 3rd place finish in the event last year. I was just a little disappointed to be fighting for 11th at the end. But that's road racing. It's always a crap shoot. You got to be good and lucky.

On the bright side. Joe and I ended up with 126 miles on the day. And I can now moth-ball my silly road bike. Only 6 road bike rides this year. That's gona be hard to beat.




A short lived break by myself, Bruce Rivera, and a couple other guys just about to get swallowed by the pack.












Pre-Race photo of Joe.
Ready for battle.

















And me, about to start my 6th road bike ride of the year....

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I was up there watching and marshaling. I got some pics-one with you solo ahead of the pack up the Fredrickson Rd. Hill. I'll be putting the photos up soon. Nice job-especially for 6 road rides!

Monday, September 18, 2006 9:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Robert said...

Hey Pete.

Yeah that got pretty ugly in those final miles. Everyone was getting pretty darn tired. It was neat to have a bunch of the mt bike guys out there. We will get um next time.

And Brent,

Nice to have you up there too. Pretty neat event, ey? I had a couple of those, ride off solo deals. I have to admit they were not attacks. I was just riding at the front and noticed no one was with me. Guess I'm just too fast. ;-)

See you guys.

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:09:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
hit Counter