Saturday, June 20, 2009

Lumberjack 100

That was interesting. First couple miles of the race went perfect and I was positioned in the top 15 as we hit the dirt, but then my seat-post clamp broke into pieces. I turned around and started back to the parking lot. Just happened to have a spare post in the car. It was pretty hilarious to be riding against traffic just after the start of the big mass-start hundo. Got a lot of sympathy from the racers when they saw me riding, saddle in hand, just 2.5 miles in. After a pretty quick seat-post and saddle swap I was off again. I’d lost some time, but so much worse was the 260 places. The first lap was ridiculous as I worked my way past about 231 riders, riding through the ferns off line and hoping I’d not crash into one of those hidden stumps that got me and busted my collarbone at the first lumberjack. I’d given up hope of a result and was feeling a bit grumpy during that first 25 mile lap. But knowing there was chip timing this year and lap times would be posted, I’d try and post a solid final 75 miles just to compare with my friend’s times. Long story short, the final 75 miles were really fun and I was simply amazed to end up top 10 on the day. As for my plan to compare lap times after the race, my final 75 miles placed 7th best in men’s open and my last lap was 5th best.

Special thanks to the hospitality and race support of Team O'Dea/Simonster. Thanks guys for an awesome weekend!!



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice comeback. I was one of the 231 you had to pass after your mechanical. I certainly felt for you as you were going upstream broken parts in hand. KM

Monday, June 22, 2009 8:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Paynful said...

Great race Robert!! Impressive finish!!

Some of my best races are the ones that I lose hope and just ride against myself. I think when the race pressure is off and you relax, you actually go faster!

Monday, June 22, 2009 9:43:00 AM

 
Blogger Cruise said...

solid result

Monday, June 22, 2009 12:07:00 PM

 
Blogger singletrackchronicles said...

That is a great finish! Great job.

Monday, June 22, 2009 2:10:00 PM

 
Blogger TP said...

Bad mutha jamma!

Great Race - Awesome!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Soupy said...

Absolutely amazing, Robert!! Great riding with ya!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:00:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your performance reaks of Jim "Don't give up, don't ever give up" Valvano.

I, too, was one of the throng you had to pass. After thinking "well, that sucks", it occurred to me that at least you were able to ride back to the parking lot. Sure beats a drive train/wheel problem.

Way to get after it.

MJ

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:06:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Robert! All you guys, and gals, are rock stars. Well done!! Did you snag some post race bonus miles?

See ya!
Joe B.

Friday, June 26, 2009 7:59:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
hit Counter