Sunday, October 05, 2008

Stony Creek Cross Race

I'd kinda been dreading cyclo-cross. Of all the disciplines of bike racing cyclo-cross seems to require the most suffering. I guess that's common knowledge. And still I'm compelled to do it. It's kinda weird. With that said, I had a really fun race today. Bill and I ended up riding together again and were able to pull away from a group of 4 guys with about a third of the race to go. Then we worked together to build that gap. In the final lap started to close on a guy. Just as we were about to catch, I slammed head and shoulder into a wooden sign in the beach-sand section. I'd gotten just a little squirrely in the deep sand and way too close to the sign. Ouch! Bill ended up getting past the guy we were closing on and I rolled in behind the 2 of them, 15th. I'm really happy with my finish and super happy my skeletal structure was able to plow into that stationary object without damage..  :-)

The sign I ran into, dent in my helmet, and the "mark" on my shoulder...


8 Comments:

Blogger Paynful said...

You were suppose to go around the sign, not through it!!

Fun race today!

Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Soupy said...

Hehe... I'd like to see the pictures the sign took! ;)

Monday, October 06, 2008 1:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Steve Kinley said...

I did the same thing last year at the Stony TT along the road on the way back. My chain slipped off the the cog on my SS and I was looking down to try and back pedal it back on. Next thing I knew I was stopped cold by that sign.

Monday, October 06, 2008 7:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Randy Guymer said...

Hey, you didn't break anything :-) How much longer are you going to keep racing with those kids? I know the old folks are fearing your entry into the senior citizen class.

Monday, October 06, 2008 7:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Cruise said...

By the results that looked like a tough race. I'm pretty upset that I missed it.

I'm thinking Stewart and Simonson are doing a death loop when we're back, so be prepared for another tough weekend

Monday, October 06, 2008 9:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Brent said...

Wait a minute. You could ride through the sand this year. And it wasn't 90 degrees. That just sounds too easy!

Good thing your still in one piece. No more XTR hardware on your bones.

Monday, October 06, 2008 10:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Masher's Media said...

Hey Rob, I got the video from Stony up on my BLOG stop by and give it a once over! Masher...

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:03:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,
just checking out your blog, did you know you're supposed to file an accident report with the park rangers when that kind of stuff happens...I might have to report you! :) Oh - btw The Metroparks are trying to get a facebook thing going. You should be sign up to be a fan.

Friday, November 21, 2008 10:40:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
hit Counter